Wednesday, March 6, 2013

TurboTax 2012 Won't Run

When attempting to run TurboTax 2012, the application would close with no error message. When the application started, it identified the application as untrusted, but that is normal for this application and just means that Intuit for some reason was too cheap to digitally sign their application. After looking in the Application log, I found this:
Event 1000, Application Error
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax 2012\tt2012.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\LIBEAY32.dll
It seemed odd to me that TurboTax was using a DLL from another folder. It turns out that LIBEAY32.dll is a generic dll used for cryptography and can come with several products. The iCLS Client is separate software from Intel that has nothing to do with TurboTax.

So, I made a guess that TurboTax installed it's own version of LIBEAY32.dll in an alternate location and that it's using the wrong one. My fix was to rename the LIBEAY32.dll in the iCLS Client folder to LIBEAY32.dll.old. After this was completed TurboTax started without any issues (well, it still complained missing a digital signature, but the application worked now).

5 comments:

  1. Bless google and bless you sir for helping me with my problem with TurboTax!!! Many thanks!!!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. worked for me too
    but would LIBEAY32.dll be needed by any other apps tho??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my example, renaming the DLL in the iCLS Client folder should affect only the iCLS Client. Other programs shouldn't be using a DLL from that folder. So, that should be your only risk.

      Delete