- WSUSDB in single user mode (done as part of the failed update process, but not undone when the update failed)
- Named pipes disabled (also I think done as part of the failed update process).
- MMC for WSUS fails with "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in"
The resolve is:
- Use SQL Server Configuration Manager to enable named pipes
- Use SQL Server Management Studio to change the database to MULTI_USER
- Stop the Windows Update service and World Wide Web Publishing service before connecting to allow you to use the single connection that is available.
- Copy some files manually from the update into their correct location. I'm not sure why but it appears on some systems this is not being done.
- Download and run WSUS-KB270211-x64.exe /extract to extract the files.
- Use a program capable of extracting CAB files (7 zip) to open PCW_CAB_SUS and copy the files DbCert, DbCertDll, and DbCertSql
- Rename those files to WSUSSignDb.cer, WSUSSignDb.dll, and WSUSSignDb.sql.
- Copy the cer and dll file to: C:\Windows\Sysmsi\ssee\mssql.22005\mssql\schemasig
- Copy the sql file to C:\Program Files\Update Services\Database
- Rerun the update
For a great detailed description of how to resolve this look for the post by chucker2 in the microsoft forum link: