On the off chance that anyone else struggles with this, here is my story.....
Hardware: ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard
The good news is that this motherboard supports up to 64 GB of RAM which was my primary concern for this test box. Under normal circumstances, I'm not worried about drivers because Windows 7 drivers work in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (the OS I'm using for Hyper-V and virtual machines).
My main problem was actually the way that ASUS distributes drivers. They have a special AsusSetup utility with an INI file that defines which files to use for various operating systems. I'm guessing that it works well for most people, but AsusSetup was detecting my OS as WNT_6.1I_64 which is not in their INI file. I tried running the setup file in compatibility mode, but it then detected another version of OS which as not supported.
So, there are two ways to work around this:
- Edit the INI files to and add WNT_6.1I_64 = Win7_64. This works, but there are a lot of INI files to edit as one AsusSetup, runs another in a lower part of the directory structure.
- Browse down far enough and you'll find the actual setup file that is run to install the driver. At this point, I've satisfied myself with installing the chipset drive which resolved most of the unknown devices in Device Manager.
Unfortunately the network card on this motherboard, the Intel 82579V, is not officially supported by Intel. So, the drivers do not find the card in Windows Server 2008 R2 (even if you download from Intel). However, if you manually update the device driver for the network card in Device Manager, you can browse to the PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62 folder, select e1c62x64.inf, and select the Intel 82579LM driver from the list. Not the correct driver, but it seems to work. If you look in the inf file it lists both the 82579LM and 82579V card descriptions. I'm guessing that it is primarily a difference of which advanced options are supported.
A better long term strategy would be to get a PCIe network card (no PCI slots in this one), but I need this up and running today.
While I did figure out the INI file entry bit on my own, I did not figure out the NIC fix on my own. It was originally posted by stephanvg on this thread: