Friday, September 24, 2010

Word Has Command-Line Switches

Until today, I had no idea that there were command-line switches (options) that you can use when starting Word.

I have both Office 2003 and Office 2007 installed on my PC. All of the doc files were opening automatically in Word 2003, but I wanted them to open in Word 2007 by default. I tried changing the file association, but it wouldn't take.

My final solution was to run winword.exe /r from the Office12 folder. This re-registered the registry keys for Word 2007.

If you are curious about other Word switches check them out here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210565

1 comment:

  1. Re-registering the file associations is certainly useful.

    In the good old days I used to go to the Explorer options, on the File Association tab find the correct extension, click the Advanced button and change the default option. Very useful when you prefer Explorer with the tree view on the left instead of the default showing the smart action on the left and only files on the right.

    Thankfully, these days (i.e. newer OSs) you can right click any file,and choose 'Open with ...' and ensure you tick the 'always use selected program ...' option.

    ReplyDelete