Thursday, October 15, 2009

The End of Novell (for me)

Last week I taught a Novell class for what I think is the last time. It was an eDirectory course for some guys in Vancouver. Overall fun class with good students. However, with limited market share and consequently limited training opportunities, I don't think it is worth my while to update my certs to teach the newer content.

I remember when......
  • about 70% of organizations used Novell NetWare
  • file and print services were all that were expected of a server
  • NetWare was more stable than Windows (by a lot)
  • GroupWise had reasonable market share
  • Microsoft was the underdog for server side computing
  • IPX/SPX meant I didn't really need to understand the network configuration

Goodbye NetWare, eDirectory, and GroupWise. It was fun while it lasted. SUSE I hardly knew you.

No comments:

Post a Comment