Monday, December 15, 2008

Outlook 2007 and RPC over HTTP for home/remote users

Recently, I finally configured my Vista Ultimate computer with Outlook 2007 to directly access my mailbox on the office server. I work from home most of the time and had been using Terminal Services to access Outlook and my mailbox information. This setup was OK, but was a little clunky sometimes. It was time for RPC over HTTP. I've been meaning to do this literally for years.

Server side setup was already complete and all I had to do was configure Outlook. Simply go into the mail profile and configure and HTTPS connection. It connected first try and I was extremely happy. Except that it kept prompting me to login each time even if I selected the remember password checkbox. I found this site (http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2005/06/17/RPCHTTP.aspx) with lots of ideas, but none fixed the issue except for one of the comments.


I needed to configure the mutual authentication option (Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate) before I could avoid the prompt. I assume that this is meant to be a security feature from MS. However, I'd much rather the option to save the password not be visible if it's not going to work. Or, a note in the configuration dialog box explaining the requirement. The necessary option is pictured below:

No comments:

Post a Comment