Thursday, April 13, 2017

Suppress Results when Adding Items to an ArrayList

I ran into a mildly annoying feature when adding items to an array list when using PowerShell today. An array list is an expandable array of items with better performance than a normal array when working with large data sets.

Each time I added an item to the array list, it echoed back the index number of the list item. When I added the first item in the list, the number 0 was displayed on the screen. Adding a second item would echo back the number 1. For example:
$proxylist.add($a)
0

I would prefer my script to be silent when running except when there is data that I want to display. However, there is no option obviously available for that purpose. Instead, you need to redirect the output to $null. There are a few ways to do this and any one will work:
$proxylist.add($a) > $null
$proxylist.add($a) | Out-Null
[void]$proxylist.add($a)

No comments:

Post a Comment