Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Windows 2003 Documentation in PDF

Someone at Microsoft must have decided it was time to clean up the support documentation. You'll now find that if you try to use a link referring to older Windows Server 2003 documentation or support docs, you instead get prompted to download a PDF. At first I didn't think much about this as I didn't really need the documentation.

Today I wanted to confirm some processes in a forest recovery (a low likelihood issue, but I'm doing up some documentation). Ok, I'll download this and find the content I want.

It turns out that this PDF is 150MB and 28000 pages. I'm sure it's complete, but not very convenient.

If anyone else is looking for the forest recovery info, it's on page 3078.

I should also point out that this content is relevant all the way up to Windows Server 2012 R2 (and I assume Windows Server 2016 also). MS has no other official forest recovery info that I've run across.

And just for fun, here's a link to the Windows 2003/2003 R2 retired content:

No comments:

Post a Comment