Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Windows Server 2008 Foundation

I thought I knew all the editions of Windows Server 2008. Apparently I missed the Foundation edition. I think it's relatively new. It is also available only through OEMs.

Here is the basic rundown of the Foundation edition features that make it different from Standard edition:
  • Does not include Hyper-V
  • Does not include server core
  • Limited to 15 simultaneous user connections
  • Separate licencing from CALs (may be cheaper)
  • Lower cost
  • Only available through OEMs

The Foundation edition can still be used for:

  • Domain Controller
  • Terminal Services (need the TS CALs, limited to 15 users still)
  • Remote access
  • Application server
  • File and Print server

Looks like an interesting option for smaller environments that need a basic server and don't want to kick out the $ for a full server or SBS. I can think of one client right now who could use this.

No comments:

Post a Comment