Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hyper-V Manager from a Non-Domain Computer

As part of a project I'm working on, I need to remote control a Hyper-V guest using Hyper-V Manager installed on a Vista computer that is not part of the domain. Basically, I don't want to put my regular workstation into my test domain. After a bit of pain, the simplest solution I found is this:
  1. Create an account in the domain running Hyper-V that has the exact same logon name and password as the account being used on the Vista computer.
  2. Configure COM on the Vista computer to allow anonymous remote connections.

Then BOOM! It works. And you can do your screen recordings remotely.

For click-by-click instructions on the configuring COM, see step 7 in this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/03/28/part-2-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment